Friday, August 05, 2005

I'm Not Link-Whoring, I'm Just Networking, Baby....

While Jason Calacanis' idea of creating more lists looks at first like it will just make blogging life more complicated, perhaps what it will do is bring attention to those of us in the Technorati tail.

It's true that alot of the A-listers have been blogging for a long time, and have rightfully earned their place...but if the A-list dominates, how the heck do the rest of us get noticed?? RSS and other feeds are like giant casting-calls and one just hopes that she can dazzle enough people to get those freakin' links. There was lots of talk about link whoring at Blogher, but, you know, good linkwhoring is actually NETWORKING

Hel-lo people! If you believe in your content, link-whore away! Saying that networking to get links is link-whoring is working-class thinking meant to keep people--especially women--in their place and NOT asking for links. Being from a working-class background, I know how that "w" word works to keep women in their proper place. And how women use it against each other to keep each other down.

So call me a link-whore. I don't care. I've been called a heckofalot worse!

In other news: Bob Novak thows a hissy fit and makes Jim Carvell look like the handsomest bully in town... (maybe that's what Mary Matalin loves about him)

tags: , ,, ,,

2 comments:

ElisaC said...

As long as it's relevant I completely agree!

Don't fall for the Myth of Meritocracy:
http://workerbeesblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/myth-of-meritocracy.html

Great meeting you...we still need to talk non-profits.

Tish Grier said...

great meeting you too! and, yes, we still have to talk...

Exactly on the relavence point. I won't try to network (or link-whore) on a blog that has nothing to do with mine. that doesn't make sense. And I don't usually take or post links to blogs that have nothing to do with what I'm up to either. That seems to be a common sense thing, but sometimes that gene is missing in people.