Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Better Half of BlogHer2007

Lest all y'all think that all I have is harsh critique of a small slice of the women I encountered at BlogHer (as Anonymous feels in a comment on this post) I had planned yesterday to acknowledge today the number of great bloggers and non-blogges I met or renewed connections with in Chicago (and in no particular order)....

Peace activist N.F. Hill--it takes great courage to be a peace activist these days....

Sannon McKarney who blogged the panel I was on, and did a really great job...(the session was also blogged by Beryl Burns, Pepplady, and a couple of others I can't find now...)

Farm owner Julia Wiley who blogs about running a small farm and sustainable agriculture....

Lisa Williams, who found a number of great women placebloggers to add to her collection (in hindsight, I should have gone to the sessions Lisa attended...they sounded great...)

Amy Gahran, my editor over at Poynter.org's E-media Tidbits (who I owe a column...argh...)

The wonderful and amazingly knowledgable Susan Mernit--I always love catching up with Susan and all her adventures...

Viviane of Viviane's Sex Carnival--a tasteful erotica blogger. She also blogs at Perverts' Saloon. She's got the grace that only comes with being older and wiser...

Renee Blodgett who I met at the first Blogher, and seem to run into at a number of conferences....

My great roomie Stephanie Cockerl probably one of the hardest working women in the blogoshpere...

DaringYoungMom's Kathryn Thompson who's dealt very gracefully with criticisms of her beliefs (she's LDS) and wrote a great post about the panel and some post-panel stuff...

Laina Dawes who keeps an excellent blog that covers topics of race...including an incident at a restaurant in Chicago that should not be happening in this day and age...

The irrepressible Liz Henry--with too many blogs to link to! I met Liz at the first BlogHer--and am really amazed at all the stuff she's doing now (which I get to follow over at Facebook.) Guess none of us knew what would happen with our blogging careers...(and it seems like lots of us had parties in rooms...)

and I missed Grace Davis...

There was also Beth Kanter who I admire for the work she's done in Cambodia and the money she's raised through her blog....

Fabulous marketing blogger Susan Getgood who did something great with her hair, and who I also didn't get a chance to talk with. We really need to catch up...

And Barb Dybwad--we've kinda known each other off and on since the first BlogHer without knowing each other, and found out we have odd, similar sense of humor on some things...

Photoshop queen Jan Kabili--another one of those women I've crossed paths with over the years and finally got to say "hi" to--and love what she's doing with the pod and video casts...

Andy Sernovitz darned great, smart guy, CEO of Gaspedal.com, former CEO of the Word of Mouth Marketing Association and author of "Word of Mouth Marketing" (if you get the chance, read it...great book)

Super-liveblogger/consultant/conference organizer Josh Hallett who I always love to run into at these things...like seeing an old friend...

Scrapblog.com's Alex de Carvalho who I met at We Media Miami--it was just great seeing him again!

Liz Rizzo and Celeste Liddel whom I've both known from the first BlogHer--always great to run into them. So much has changed for all of us!

Mur Lafferty of Lulu.tv who I shared a lunch and great conversation about videocasting and what's going on with Lulu (in general...)

Adele Stan of National Women's Editorial Forum--something I need to dig into further...

Maureen Caplan Grey at Grey Consulting who's also writing these days for ZDNet--not a small feat for a woman, but she's got the experience and the chops to do it. Wish'd I'd had more time to talk with her...

Filmmaker Laurie Kahn-Leavitt, who's made a great film on the people who made Tupperware into a multi-million dollar corporation. A great story about a time when there were very little opportunities for women...

and Paula Bruno of Golden Seeds a VC firm that focuses on women entrepreneurs....

And Elisa, Lisa, and Jory--who make the thing happen every year...

I know I've left some folks out--sometimes it gets tough to keep track of people and business cards. Who knows...in a couple of months, everything may surface again...

You never know....

6 comments:

agahran said...

Awww, thanks Tish :-)

Not what the hell was the deal with those cubic furry pillows?

- Amy

Tish Grier said...

you know, I asked a guy friend about that fuzzy cube pillow...and he just gave me a kind of wry smile...

I'm still clueless.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tish!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the shout out. We live relatively close. Let's try to meet in the middle for lunch sometime...

Tish Grier said...

Hey Beth!....hi Susan! and yep, let's get together for lunch sometime soon. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tish: I'm blushing. Thanks for the kind words. It was great to meet you too.

- Jan kabili